Wednesday, March 1, 2017

So, I Decided to Let My Students Talk...



There are certain phenomena from my educational experiences as a student that baffle me.

Now that I teach, I certainly appreciate my teachers- especially their patience. However, one of the conundrums that still boggles my mind from my school experience is the necessity to silence students. It seemed as if every class I had in middle school had rules around talking.

The problem was that I had a lot to say!

Rather than stifle the natural inclination of my students to talk, especially as we discuss interesting, controversial, or contemporary topics, I have decided to embrace that fact that, to paraphrase the immortal words of Shrek, "...it's getting them to shut up that's the trick."

So...do you remember those questions that you were assigned for homework? You know the ones- your teacher would assign a reading of a section, or a chapter, or a unit. Then, there were 3 or 4 question after the reading that you needed to answer (I was that kids that always asked "do we need to use complete sentences?") Did you enjoy those assignments? Nah, me neither!

I have taken this concept and turned those questions into reflection opportunities for Round Table Discussion. The concept is simple. After we complete an activity or simulation, I assign reflection questions for the students to complete. These questions are open-ended and may require a student to perform further research into a topic. Once complete, students share their answers in small group discussions moderated by me. Students discuss differing perspectives and share their insights thus sparking deeper thinking, inciting lots of comparisons and contrasts, and, hopefully, furthering students understanding of the activity.


In order to ensure constructive conversations, I provide the students with a framework for creating statements. I found a document titled "Meaningful Conversations" while researching Cooperative Learning. Students must utilize one of these phrases to make a statement or ask a question during Round Tables. This ensures that students have appropriate language for the discussion, whether it is to ask a followup question, share a new perspective, or to disagree with their classmate. It keeps the discussions moving and limits opportunities for Round Tables to deteriorate into dialogue that isn't beneficial for furthering student learning.


Round Table Discussions are one activity that helps to foster positive dialogue in classrooms. If my students are going to talk anyway, I want to give them the tools and experiences to make their conversations powerful and positive. Students need to have their voices heard! Therefore, provide constructive outlets that give ample opportunities for student discussion while guiding them in the art of debate and constructive conversation.

Please leave comments if you have any questions or need further clarification of this awesome and exciting activity.

Check out my YouTube channel: Chaka Cummings (The Dedicated Educator). Also, find me on LinkedIn and check out some of my published posts on education.

No comments: