Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Redesigning My Learning Space

After a ton of research this summer, I have been inspired to jazz up my classroom a bit.

My interests actually started before the end of last school year. After re-reading The Third Teacher, I was inspired to look at my current space and assess how I used the space with a fresh perspective. I began reading articles about hacking the classroom and discussing space planning with designers and architects. Finding educational thought leaders and listening to TED Talks became a part of my summer routine. In the end, I focused on three concepts to bring new life to my classroom.

1. Less Teacher Space

I gave up my command center inside of my classroom. The corner that was occupied by my teacher desk and file cabinets is gone. I am using a smaller space that has all of the area I need to function effectively. I have given this space back to my students and it has helped me to achieve my other two objectives.

2. Classrooms Zones

I was inspired by my research to reconsider the layout of my classroom. I found a pin on Pintrest that really inspired me to consider dividing my classroom into several learning zones to maximize the effective use of the space.



This infographic from the University of Southern California was my jumping off point for thinking about how I could create unique learning zones in my space. 

3. Starbucks my Classroom
The final push came from talented educator Oskar Cymerman. His blog posts on "Starbucks my Classroom" inspired me to look at how I could recreate my classroom space to make it more comfortable and casual for my students. Check out his blog at: http://focus2achieve.com/blog 

Here are some pics of the remade space:










No comments: